Mt Airy Composite Squadron, Civil Air Patrol, gathered for their regularly scheduled Thursday meeting at the Carroll County Senior Center, Mt Airy, on 13 July 2017 . The meeting began with opening ceremony, drill practice and drill tests. Cadets must successfully show proficiency in drill as part of the promotion process to achieve the next rank.
Cadet Chief Master Sergeant Pitt gave a speech about how practice, and even making mistakes, helps to make you a better leader. She provided examples of mistakes she made as she advanced in rank, how she learned from them, and why they helped her become a better leader.
Lt Col Trombley, Deputy Commander Mt Airy Composite Squadron, explained what Emergency Services is and what it does to protect our community, state, and nation. He also talked about requirements needed to perform Emergency Services such as ICUT (radio communications), First Aid and CPR. Cadets then went over the five major types of heat and cold injuries. Deputy Commander Trombley went over the different signs and symptoms of the injuries and ways to prevent and treat them; they are as follow:
- Heat Cramps – Heat cramps are painful, brief muscle cramps. Muscles may spasm or jerk involuntarily. Heat cramps can occur during exercise or work in a hot environment or begin a few hours later.
- Heat Exhaustion – a condition of physical weakness or collapse often accompanied by nausea, muscle cramps, and dizziness, that is caused by exposure to intense heat
- Heat Stroke – a condition marked by fever and often by unconsciousness, caused by failure of the body’s temperature-regulating mechanism when exposed to excessively high temperatures.
- Frost Bite – injury to body tissues caused by exposure to extreme cold, typically affecting the nose, fingers, or toes and sometimes resulting in gangrene.
- Hyperthermia – the condition of having a body temperature greatly above normal.
The meeting was concluded with announcements and encouragement for personal growth and development. During closing formation the following promotions were awarded:
- Cadet Airman 1st Class Albertson promoted to Cadet Senior Airman (C/SrAmn)
- Cadet Technical Sgt Buchheit promoted to Cadet Master Sergeant (C/MSgt
- Cadet Chief Master Sgt Buzzard promoted to Cadet Second Lieutenant (C/2nd Lt)
Article by: Cadet Senior Airman Amy Franklin
Photos by: Cadet Chief Master Sergeant Raegan Buzzard