Mt Airy Composite Squadron brought in the new year with enthusiasm, conquering many challenges and embracing change. The website was down for a brief time, but getting all the bugs out took longer. Forgive the interruption. The challenge of this post is to bring everyone up to date.
- Cadets voiced an interest in forming an Emergency Services Ground Team. Cadet Commander Raegan Buzzard and 2nd Lt Alvarado attended the Maryland Wing Ground Ops Academy to check out the program. Imagine an operation set up with volunteers who have years of experience and an avid interest in teaching the next generation. Not enough praise can be heaped on Lt Col Midkiff and his group of volunteers for their efforts at the Ground Ops Academy.
- The squadron made the decision to meet every third week on Wednesday at the Mt Airy Izaak Walton League in an effort to have a place for emergency services training.
- Cadets and Senior members ventured to Arlington Nation Cemetery for Wreath Clean up.
- Promotion night saw the advancement of senior members as well as cadets and the formal presentation of Maryland Wing awards were made. See the 2018 January Promotion post for more detail.
- Commander Smith-Velazquez, senior member Madsen, cadets Madsen and Grasley joined Carroll Composite Squadron on a visit to the Smithsonian Aerospace Museum, Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center.
- Cadet Staff Sergeant Grasley leads the charge to gain Ground Team certification and attends the Ground Ops Academy. Introductory User Training Communications (ICUT) was conducted by Cadet Mullaney, a radio enthusiast, working on his evaluator qualifications. His teaching material and performance was evaluated by senior evaluators in attendance. This was a great example of cadets stepping up to lead.
- Captain Iacarino visited the squadron to speak on the subject of summer encampment. More than a “boot camp” it’s a week long exercise in personal growth, self-discipline and leadership. Cadets make new friends, experience new activities, achieve self knowledge and earn bragging rights.
- Maryland Wing Subordinate Unit Inspection occurred on promotion night. Cadet staff stepped up and conducted the night’s program while the Commander and senior members assisted in the inspection. Mt Airy Composite Squadron did very well on their inspection and are relieved to put it behind them and focus on new goals.
- Cadets Katherine Grasley and Dylan Marty achieved the Wright Brothers Milestone Award. Cadet Deputy Commander James Buchheit achieved his General Billy Mitchell Milestone Award. A formal presentation of the Mitchell award will be made when the numbered certificate is received.
- The Ground Ops Academy is gaining squadron cadet interest. Cadets Staff Sergeant Dylan Marty and Airman Conner Snyder join Staff Sergeant Katherine Grasley. The training continues and field experience is added to the mix.
- Cadets fill out Summer Encampment registration and scholarship forms.
- Aerospace night had the cadets experimenting with fundamentals of physics and exploring design skills and creative thinking to save the egg.
- Cadets Buzzard, Marty and Madsen join Captain Winters at the annual Kiwanis of Frederick All U Can Eat Pancake Breakfast.
- Fourth week Promotion night was cancelled due to bad weather and Carroll County school closing.
- Fifth week Thursday was held at the Izaak Walton League (IWL). Operational Risk Management was cadet led and Steve Barton, IWL, conducted safety training.